Mangaluru: Aloyseum, St Aloysius College Museum, has opened a Philatelic Gallery. The gallery has over 50,000 stamps from around the world, mainly from the Vatican.
Rev. Fr Gabriel Ferruccio, a Jesuit brother had made this collection. After his death, the stamps were gifted to Aloyseum. Only a portion of the stamps is currently on display due to lack of space. The remaining stamps will be displayed in batches every 4 to 6 months.
The present exhibition contains about 2700 stamps from 161 countries issued since 1854. Kavitha, the Curator of the museum, planned and set up the gallery.
The Philatelic Gallery was inaugurated by Dr Charles Lobo, former Chief Post Master General of the Karnataka Circle on 12 May.
He brought to a notice that many persons of the undivided DK had been honoured with stamps and suggested that this could be displayed in the gallery.
Rev. Fr Melwin J Pinto SJ, Rector of St. Aloysius College, presided over the event and expressed his delight at the continuous improvement of the museum by opening new galleries for visitors.
Vidya Baglodi, a renowned philatelist gave her opinion on the gallery. Rev Fr Leo D’Souza SJ gave a brief account of the stamps.
Alwyn compered the programme and Rebecca proposed the vote of thanks.