In April 2022, the Indian job market advertised a sum total of 179,470 Data Science job openings. This study was conducted by Analytics India Magazine on the Indian post-pandemic Data Science jobscape. The report also indicates that there has been a 73.5% increase in the availability of open positions in Data Science from March 2022 to April 2022. This year clearly seems to be in favor of aspiring Data Science professionals in India.
During the onset of the global pandemic, there were large-scale lay-offs and a steep rise in the unemployment rate – the 68-day lockdown during the first wave did leave long-term scars on the country’s workforce and economy. And yet, amidst all the chaos, the Data Science industry somehow continued to stay in demand in India. The country has clearly embraced the significance of Data Science.
The post-pandemic growth of Data Science in India
From April 2021 to April 2022, a 30% increase in the number of Data Science and Analytics jobs was recorded. What led to this growth?
The following factors were crucial in the exponential growth of Data Science and Analytics in India after the pandemic:
- Domestic companies made large-scale investments for the advancement of Data Science.
- There was a significant growth rate in the funding of Artificial Intelligence and Analytics.
- Captive Centers began focusing on building competent Data Science teams.
- Countless Multinational Corporations began to meet their requirements for Data Science professionals from India.
Data Science jobs in India
98.6% of Data Science job openings advertised in India are full-time jobs. Not only is the domain abundant in job openings but the Data Science salary in India is also irresistible. The following are some of the top Data Science jobs in India:
|Job Role||Earning Potential|
|Data Architect||₹ 21,000,00 LPA|
|Data Scientist||₹ 10,56,000|
|Big Data Analytics||₹ 7,70,871 LPA|
|Artificial Intelligence Engineer||₹9,74,940|
|Machine Learning Engineer||₹ 8,28,067 LPA|
How to get a Data Science job in India?
Is Data Science a good career choice in India? As Data Science gets integrated into almost every aspect of business, the demand for skilled Data Science professionals is steadily rising. India is definitely looking for skilled professionals, but, due to the existing skill gap, there is an acute shortage of professionals who possess the in-demand skills. If you are looking to build a Data Science career in India, now is the right time to expand your skill set and make yourself a desirable candidate.
Follow these steps to get a Data Science job in India:
1. Join a Data Science Bootcamp
A Data Science Bootcamp is one of the best ways to acquire in-demand skills in India. This intensive short-term training program focuses on the most relevant skills and prioritizes hands-on experience over theoretical knowledge. A Bootcamp is also the best alternative for a lengthy tedious conventional degree to learn top skills in Data Science.
2. Build a strong portfolio
A Data Science employer looks at hundreds of profiles every day. The trick is to make yourself stand out in a sea of aspiring Data Science professionals. As your portfolio is one of the best representations of your competency; by optimizing it, you can certainly catch the attention of your potential employers.
Tips to enhance your portfolio:
- List projects that spotlight your programming, deploying, visualizing, and storytelling
- Ensure that your codes are professional, clean, and easily readable.
- Compartmentalize your project into multiple files.
- Publish your code on GitHub, always post it with descriptions (either a readme or a blog).
3. Take your online presence up a notch
By enhancing your online presence, it is important to let your potential employers know that you have what it takes to manipulate data in a real environment. An impressive portfolio on platforms such as Kaggle, GitHub, or a blog of your own will boost your visibility.
4. Engage in personal projects to gain ample hands-on experience
Working on as many projects as you can, will help you solidify your technical skills. Even if your personal projects are not full-fledged end-to-end projects, they can still give you hands-on practice. Once complete, you can display your projects on platforms such as GitHub.
Here are some small projects you can take up:
- Exploratory Data Analysis – EDA is an ideal type of project to demonstrate your skills in framing and probing the right questions.
- Collection and cleaning of data sets – This type of project will expose you to different data formats, data collection methods, and data cleaning tasks.
- Predictions – Take up logistic regression and linear regression model based projects to predict.
5. Expand your network
Professional networking is one of the best ways to strengthen your presence in the Data Science domain. From Data Science interview questions to Data Science projects, your professional network can give you access to several insights about the industry.
Choose your learning program cautiously
Are you a working professional who wants to switch to Data Science or a final year student who wants to launch your career in Data Science? How flexible is your job or student life for you to make room for learning new skills?
- There are a plethora of Data Science courses to choose from in India. Whether you are a student or a working professional, it is crucial to choose a program that will let you fit other commitments around your learning schedule. If you already have a hectic life, choose a flexible Data Science Bootcamp with weekend classes.
- Another important factor is your Data Science course syllabus. Data Science is an ever-evolving landscape; based on the kind of technologies and business models that organizations adopt, the demand for skills keeps changing. This underlines the importance of learning an up-to-date curriculum.
The demand for Data Science professionals in India is at an all-time high in India this year and is expected to grow in the coming years. As Data Science is growing dynamically, working in this domain can feel like a life-long learning experience. For the very same reason, Data Science aspirants will have no choice other than keep up with the changing demands of the industry. As skilled professionals become harder to find, upskilling is the best bet for Data Science aspirants who want to stay relevant in the job market.