News Karnataka
Wednesday, January 19 2022

Asia

IS claims responsibility for Afghan mosque bombing

Kabul: The Islamic State (IS) terror group has claimed responsibility for the suicide bombing at a mosque in Afghanistan’s Kunduz province that left at least over 45 people dead and hundreds of others injured, the media reported on Saturday.

In a statement issued on Friday night, the terror group identified the suicide bomber as Muhammad, an Uyghur Muslim, reports Khaama Press.

The blast occurred inside a Shia Muslim mosque building in Kunduz city, the provincial capital, at around 2 p.m. when over 300 hundred people were attending the Friday prayers.

However, there were conflicting reports over the death toll.

While the director of the culture and information department in Kunduz said that 43 people were killed, local Afghan media have put the toll between 46 to 50.

Local security officials said over 300 hundred people were at the mosque during the time of the blast.

Witnesses have said over 100 worshippers were killed and wounded in the attack.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan had also said in initial reports that over 100 people were killed and wounded .

The Taliban have condemned the attack and pledged to bring the perpetrators to justice.

MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Subscribe Newsletter

Get latest news karnataka updates on your email.