Bengaluru: Bellandur Police have seized more than 800 kg of gelatin sticks allegedly stored and used illegally at a construction site in Bhoganahalli and booked two persons in connection with the case.

The arrested persons have been identified as Arun Kumar, owner of a private construction company, and Jagan, a site engineer.

Explosives allegedly used to break rocks

According to preliminary investigations, a large construction project is under way on nearly 25 acres in Bhoganahalli. A rock formation was reportedly discovered during construction, following which gelatin explosives were allegedly brought to the site to blast and break the rocks.

Police said the explosives were allegedly being used without the required permission and adequate safety precautions.

Acting on specific information, officers conducted a raid and seized more than 800 kg of gelatin sticks from the premises. A case has been registered under provisions of the Explosives Act for allegedly possessing and using the material without authorisation.

Police probe source of explosives

A senior Police officer said investigators are examining how the gelatin sticks were procured and transported to the site, who authorised their use and whether the materials were stored in violation of safety regulations.

The project was reportedly taken up by private real estate company Adarsh Developers, with construction work contracted to a Bengaluru-based company. Police are examining the roles of company representatives, contractors and workers involved in the alleged blasting.

Residents raise safety concerns

Residents have alleged that blasting was carried out late at night, sometimes after midnight, causing panic in the locality.

They have also raised concerns about the construction site’s proximity to a school and questioned whether adequate safety measures were being followed to protect children and residents.

Locals reportedly approached Bellandur Police several times over the alleged blasting. Following renewed protests, workers were warned against continuing the work without proper safety measures.

Earlier complaint also under scanner

The case also has an earlier complaint angle. On July 11, Satish Naik, 33, reportedly approached the Police alleging that he had been engaged for excavation work and was pressured to use explosives after a large quantity of stone was found at the site.

His complaint reportedly named Arun Kumar, Adarsh, Jagan, Prabhakar and others, alleging that unauthorised explosive materials were being stored and used for blasting.

Police are now verifying the allegations made in the earlier complaint as part of the ongoing investigation.