News Karnataka
Television

Kangana’s ‘Lock Upp’ runs into trouble after stay order on reality show - 2 min read

Photo Credit : IANS

Mumbai: The reality show ‘Lock Upp’ hosted by Kangana Ranaut, which was set to be aired from Sunday, has been put on hold by the City Civil Court of Hyderabad.

As a result, the show will not air on any form of electronic or social media.

After taking note of a video clip of the trailer of the show, the court issued an ad-interim injunction on releasing the upcoming show, saying that it bears resemblance to petitioner Sanober Baig’s story and the script of the concept ‘The Jail’.

The concept, which is owned by Pride Media through its proprietor Sanober Baig, was written by Shaantanu Ray and Sheershak Anand and is registered under the Copyright Act on March 7, 2018 and was also registered at the Film Writers Association.

The petition explains how the concept was developed and also lists the details of the money invested by him at various stages of concept development.

Commenting on the situation, Sanober said, “When I saw the promo of the said show, I was in shock. I have been in touch with Abhishek Rege from Endemol Shine for a long time and had several meetings about the subject in Hyderabad. He had promised that once the market gets better, we will get going.”

He further mentioned that the show is outrightly plagiarised, saying: “The show is not only similar to our concept, but it is an absolute copy of the same. I could not believe that somebody could plagiarise the concept to such an extent. We have prayed to the court for infringement of copyright and have got a stay order.”

See also  'Bigg Boss 15': Rashami Desai declares her love for Umar

If the legal representatives of the petitioner are successful in proving infringement, the defendant production house (Ekta Kapoor’s AltBalaji) will be liable for consequences under Sections 51 and 52 of the Copyright Act.

It’s not that Sanober directly knocked the court’s door. It was only after the production house refused to have a dialogue with him that Sanober reached out to the court.

“I connected with the respective companies and requested them not to go ahead with the concept. But they turned a deaf ear and challenged that they have every right to stream as per the schedule,” he said.

“I had no option but to seek redressal from the judiciary. The notice has been served to all the parties involved and we have the acknowledgement of the same. If the show gets aired, it’ll be a contempt of the court. I have full faith in the judiciary and I am sure that justice will be served,” Sanober signed off.

MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Subscribe to our Podcast across platforms
AnchorAmazon MusicSpotifyGoogle PodcastsRadio PublicRSS

Visit 7Jackpots and find the best online casinos in India! Play the most popular casino games for real money!

Find the best odds at 10Cric and ipl betting 2021! Signup today and get up to a 100% deposit bonus.

Subscribe Newsletter

Get latest news karnataka updates on your email.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp