Journalism is undergoing a transformative period with the use of social media and user-generated content (citizen journalism), but ethics remain vital to good practice.
To serve the public, journalism must be accurate, independent, impartial, accountable, and show humanity.
The Editorial Team of Newskarnataka.com at all times live by their tag line “Truth Endures”. They strive to ensure the free exchange of information for the public good, that is accurate, independent, impartial, accountable, and shows humanity. They also strive to maintain the highest standards of integrity at all times.
To this end the Newskarnataka.com Editorial Team commits itself to
- Ethical Journalism:
- put accuracy before speed
- provide context without opinions.
- Avoid pandering to lurid curiosity, even if others do.
- gather, update, and correct information throughout the life of a news story.
- Identify its sources clearly where possible (without putting them in harm’s way), to enable the public to have as much information as possible to judge the reliability and motivations of sources.
- diligently seek the subjects of its news coverage to allow them to respond to criticism or allegations of wrongdoing.
- avoid undercover or other surreptitious methods of gathering information unless absolutely required.
- being vigilant and courageous about holding those with power accountable and giving a voice to the voiceless.
- support the open and civil exchange of views, even views they find repugnant.
- seek sources whose voices we seldom hear.
- never plagiarize and always attribute.
- Minimize harm:
- balance public need for information against potential harm or discomfort of sources, subjects, colleagues, and members of the public.
- show compassion and sensitivity for those who may be affected by news coverage especially juveniles, victims of sex crimes, and sources or subjects who are inexperienced or unable to give consent.
- Act with Integrity:
- act Independently to serve the public by avoiding conflicts of interests, real or perceived.
- refuse gifts, favors, fees, free travel, and special treatment, and avoid political and other outside activities that may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility.
- be wary of sources offering information for favors or money; do not pay for access to news. Identify content provided by outside sources, whether paid or not.
- not provide favored treatment to advertisers, donors or any other special interests, and resist internal and external pressure to influence coverage.
- Be Accountable and Transparent:
- respond quickly to questions about accuracy, clarity and fairness.
- acknowledge mistakes and correct them promptly and prominently. Explain corrections and clarifications carefully and clearly.
- abide by the same high standards they expect of others.
This code of ethics is one by which the Editorial team of Newskarnataka.com lives by and is not legally enforceable. Its a guide to our journalism – the journalism that is based on the premise Truth Endures!