Mangaluru: The Sahyadri Science Talent Hunt (SSTH) is an idea conceived on the premise of the government program ‘INSPIRE’ conducted by the Department of Science & Technology to cater to schools and colleges which do not get a chance to make it there.
Students from around 200 pre-university colleges had participated from 41 different zones. The winners of these zones participated in the grand finale at Sahyadri College campus on the 12th of November to compete against each other. Students at the SSTH exhibited their creativity in the projects and model competition.
The programme was organized under the leadership of Sahyadri College Chairman, Dr. Manjunath Bhandary who aimed at nurturing the young brains through scientific innovations. “Beyond the prize money, our intent is to provide a platform for exhibiting and sharing their ideas with their peers; allowing students to redefine the education process through experiential learning”, said Bhandary.
The 1500 students are the crème de la crème of the 200 colleges having received guidance in the right perspective that facilitates devising an apt roadmap for their future. A panel discussion with experienced personnel from diverse fields of research, industry and education shared their perspective with the audience.
The eminent personalities of the panel discussion were:
- M D Tiwari, Vice Chancellor of Barkathulla University in Bhopal spoke on “Role of the University to match academics to core challenges of hardcore industries to enhance the efficiency of students in making them true engineers.
- Padmashri S K Shivakumar, Professor at Vikram Sarabai Space Centre in Bangalore spoke on “Scope and applications of space research programs for the economic growth of India and to new generation students”.
- Sanjay C Gadkari, Head-TPD in BARC, Mumbai spoke on “Research-based learning and role played by BARC”.
- Gopalan Jagadeesh from IISc, Bangalore spoke on “Revised Educational perspective on startup companies.”
- Deepak Thimaya, a Political Analyst moderated the panel discussion.
This event was organized by the college to keep the focus on improving innovative ideas of the students and help them to progress further in the same areas as professionals.