Mangaluru: The 35th Annual Conference of the Canon Law Society of India (CLSI) will be held at the Pastoral Institute, Bajjodi, Mangalore – 575 005 from Oct 3 to Oct 7, 2022. It is the first time that Annual Conference is being held in Mangalore. 121 delegates will be attending this Annual Conference. Rt Rev Dr Peter Paul Saldanha, Bishop of Mangalore, will be the Chief Guest for the Inaugural Session.
The main theme of this Annual Conference is: The Sanctifying Office of the Church. During this Conference there will be as many as Twelve Study Sessions by way of presentation of Papers by learned Scholars / Canonists from all over the country. The centre of attraction and importance will be His Eminence Oswald Cardinal Gracias the Founder President and Patron of the CLSI, President of CBCI & Archbishop of Bombay and a close collaborator of His Holiness Pope Francis who will be speaking on Synodality in the Church and Reform of the Roman Curia.
The Local Organizing Team (LOT) headed by Very Rev Fr Walter D’Mello, Judicial Vicar of the Mangalore Diocese is making all preparations for the success of this Conference.
The Canon Law Society of India was formed in 1987 with the following objectives:
- To favour contacts among the Canonists in India;
- To create an interest in Canon Law and to promote and assist research in canonical matters;
- To act as an information centre on matters of Canon Law and on matters of Civil Law concerning ecclesiastical issues;
- To foster a dialogue between Canon Law and other ecclesiastical and secular disciplines; and
- To maintain contact with other Canon Law Societies.
From the year 1987 till 2019 Annual Conference of the CLSI was held every year in various cities of India. It was not possible to have it in 2020 due to the pandemic, and in 2021 it was held on the Zoom platform. Thus after two years now in 2022 we are having a regular meeting with our physical presence.