Gonda: A controversy has erupted in Gonda after a video showing Hindu girl students performing dances in burqas during an Independence Day programme at a private school surfaced on social media, prompting protests and an official inquiry.

The programme was organised at Knowledge Beam Academy in Ausani Bujurg under the Khondare police station area on August 15. According to the information available, four to five Hindu girl students participated in a stage performance while wearing burqas and niqabs.

The video later circulated widely on social media, leading to objections from people in both Hindu and Muslim communities and demands for action against the school management.

Students perform to Bhojpuri, Bollywood songs

The school had organised a cultural programme at around 2 pm on Independence Day, with students presenting performances based on different themes.

A video recorded during the event shows the girls performing on stage while wearing burqas. They reportedly danced to Bhojpuri songs including ‘Lagai Dihi Choliya Ke Hook Rajaji’ and ‘Gulab Jaisan Khilal Badu’.

The students also performed to the Haryanvi song ‘Teri Aankh Ka Yo Kajal’ and the Bollywood song ‘Fevicol’, according to the available information.

The appearance of the students in burqas during the performances became the central point of controversy after the footage was shared on social media.

Video sparks reactions

After the video surfaced, reactions emerged from members of both Hindu and Muslim communities.

While some people viewed the performance as part of a school cultural programme, others objected to the choice of attire and songs and demanded action against the school authorities.

The controversy subsequently grew on social media, with people calling for an explanation from the management.

The incident has raised questions about the manner in which cultural programmes are planned and supervised in educational institutions, particularly when students are involved in performances involving religious or cultural attire.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by News Karnataka (@newskarnataka)

School manager issues apology

Following the escalation of the controversy, school manager Ram Suresh issued a video statement apologising for the incident.

He said the students who performed wearing burqas and niqabs were Hindu girls and maintained that the programme had been organised only for entertainment.

The manager said that if the performance had hurt anyone’s sentiments, he apologised for it.

He also stated that such an incident would not be repeated in the future.

The apology came amid growing demands for action against the school management and helped bring the school’s response into public focus.

BSA orders investigation

Gonda District Basic Education Officer (BSA) Amit Kumar Singh has ordered an investigation into the incident.

The education department said the matter would be examined to determine what exactly happened during the programme.

The BSA said that if it is established that such a programme was held at the school, a detailed investigation would be conducted and strict action would follow if violations were found.

The school’s recognition status will also be examined as part of the inquiry.

The investigation is expected to establish the circumstances under which the performance was organised and whether the school had followed applicable educational and administrative requirements.

Questions over school’s recognition

Another issue has emerged regarding the level up to which the school is officially recognised.

Principal P P Verma reportedly said that the school’s recognition extends only up to Class 8, while teaching is being conducted up to the intermediate level.

This claim is also expected to come under scrutiny during the education department’s investigation.

Authorities may examine the school’s recognition documents and determine whether classes beyond the recognised level are being conducted in accordance with applicable rules.

Inquiry to determine facts

At present, the controversy is based largely on the video of the Independence Day programme and reactions to it on social media.

The education department’s inquiry is expected to establish the full circumstances surrounding the event, including the programme’s organisation, the nature of the performances and the school’s recognition status.

The management has already issued an apology and said that the incident would not be repeated.

The authorities will now determine whether any rules were violated and whether further action against the school is warranted.

The incident has also highlighted the importance of ensuring that school cultural programmes are appropriately planned and supervised, particularly when performances involve themes or attire that could lead to public controversy.