New Delhi: According to media reports, the juvenile convict in the brutal 2012 Delhi hang-rape case will be closely monitored and not completely free when he is released later this month after completing his sentence.
The 17-year-old convict in the ‘Nirbhaya case’ is likely to be lodged with an NGO upon completing his three-year sentence at a reform centre. The convict’s movements will be monitored for a year, a news channel said quoting unnamed sources.
Last month, Union minister Maneka Gandhi had advocated that a ‘close watch’ be kept on the convict, after he completes his sentence. She had said that while the juvenile’s release into society was not ideal, the letter of the law had been followed in his convicting and sentencing.
“I don’t know whether the justice has been served but certainly the law has been adhered to,” the minister said.
The juvenile was the youngest of six men who raped and brutally tortured a 23-year-old medical student on a moving bus in the national capital three years ago.
The parents of the December 16 gang-rape victim had also expressed their exasperation with the legal system and wondered whether the juvenile convict in the case has undergone any reform.
“He was few months short of an adult while committing the crime and was sent to a reformation centre for this reason. But did he reform? Thousands of girls are being raped across the country. What has changed?” the victim’s mother had said.
Four other men found guilty in the case are on death row while one of the accused died in jail. Nirbhaya died 13 days after the incident, in a hospital in Singapore where she had been taken for treatment.