Bengaluru: A Bengaluru Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) bus caught fire at SJP College, KR Circle, reportedly due to a short circuit in the battery on Saturday April 9. Over 40 people were safely evacuated. The incident completely destroyed the bus’s front portion. When the incident occurred, the bus was travelling from Kempegowda Bus Station to Vidyanagar.
According to sources, Bettegowda H. G., a fireman on his way home on his bike after completing his duty, noticed a fire in the bus and called the High Grounds fire station. Bettegowda, the driver and the conductor safely evacuated the passenger from the bus.
A BMTC press release stated that there was smoke coming from the bus engine bonnet. An electric short circuit might have resulted from a defect in the starter and wiring design.