Bengaluru: The Department of Transport is considering the option of shifting the 2-stroke autos to taluk centres of other districts instead of sending them to scrap. These autos are being considered as a major cause for pollution in Bengaluru.
The government will ban 2-stroke autos from April 1, 2018, as announced in the previous budget. To implement this, the government has prepared a new ‘scrap policy’. However, as auto drivers are not happy with the policy, the officials have shown interest to make some modifications.
Opening scrap units to receive 2-stroke autos, as proposed by the department officials’ meeting with the auto manufacturers is now hanging. As there are chances of dropping scrap proposal, the units may not start at all. “Earlier, we discussed with Bajaj, TVS, and Appe regarding the units and we will maintain the proposals,” said an officer.
Transport Minister H M Revanna assured of a subsidy of Rs.30,000 for the auto drivers who exchange their two-stroke autos with four-stroke autos. “I have discussed regarding the financial problems of auto drivers. So, we are considering how the policy of shifting autos to other districts can be applied here. Everything will be finalized in next meeting,” he added.
“We cannot purchase a new auto with the subsidy of the government. Banks are not ready to help us. Last year, auto price was around Rs.1.20 lakh and now it is Rs.1.50 lakh. If the government implements the policy many would become jobless,” said Bengaluru Auto Drivers’ Souharda Co-operative Society President Somshekhar.