Karwar: A major fire broke out at Mudaga Ghat in Karwar Taluk on Thursday February 16, engulfing more than an acre of land. The Seabird, which passed through the Konkan Railway track and the area on the edge of the highway and the surrounding area was engulfed with the smoke. This caused panic among people of the highway and Naval Base area.
Local residents tried to douse the fire but could not. The Karwar Fire Brigade was immediately called to the spot and a fire engine from Seabird Naval Base and a fire brigade from Ankola rushed to the spot and tried to douse the fire.
Two trips of a 4,000-litre fire engine from Karwar, one trip from Ankola and about three trips of a Seabird Fire Engine were used to douse the fire.
Locals suspect that the fire may have been caused by a cigarette spark thrown by some passengers going by the train.
Karwar’s Chief Fireman Rajesh Rane, Dhananjay, Rajendra Patharkar, Nihar K. K., Ankola Fire Station Staff and Army Personnel along with a fire engine from Seabird Naval Base were part of the Fire Fighting Operation.