Mangaluru: A medical store located in the Central Market Unity Shopping Complex here was gutted in a fire that broke out on Tuesday night. The incident occurred at 11.05 PM at Sesma Medicals, owned by Shobha Rathnakar Putran, said sources at the fire department.
Speaking to NewsKarnataka, Regional Fire Officer G Thitteswamy said that the fire broke out at Sesma Medicals on Tuesday night. The timely intervention of the fire department personnel prevented the fire from spreading to other shops.
“It took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to put out the fire. If we had not arrived on time, the fire would have spread to other stores. Three fire trucks responded to the incident,” said the officer.
Although the final estimate of the loss had not yet been made, the officer, after preliminary investigations, said that the damages may amount to Rs 10 lakh or more.
As of now, the officials suspect that a short circuit is the cause of the blaze and have ruled out the involvement of miscreants. They had also found kerosene and a gas cylinder at the site.
Police have also begun their investigation in the matter.