Udupi: A stone inscription dating to 15th century belonging to Vijayanagara empire was found in Nandanavana Village of Byndoor Taluk in the District.
St. Aloysius College Director Shruthesh Acharya examined the inscription under the guidance of Retired Teacher K. Sridhar Bhat and Oriental Archives Research Centre, Udupi Director Prof. S. A. Krishnaiah.
In the sides Vamana idol and on the top end, conch, chakra, sun and moon are carved. Inscription, ‘Swasti Sri Ganadhipataye Namah’ too is present. The date reads as as 1442 Varthamana Pramadhi Samvatsarada Shravana Shuddha 15 Budhawara which means August 21, 1519 AD. The inscription belongs to Tuluva king Krishnadevaraya’s time.
The inscription prays for the long life and prosperity of ruler Vijayappa Odeya of Barkur.