Kodagu: In a tragic incident, two elephants were electrocuted on the night of Sunday July 24 after they came in contact with live 11kv wire. The incident took place in the estate of Koneri Prakash Mandanna and Mandepanda Sumanth Changappa near Nellihudikeri in Virajpet Taluk.
A male and a female elephant died after coming in contact with an electric wire. In District, there has been an increase in the menace by wild elephants and there have been incidents where elephants have been coming in search of food, thus destroying the crops grown by farmers and trampling the labourers to death. In some cases, elephants have been killed by electric wires passing between coffee plantations. It is said that more than 10 elephants have died of electric wires in last three years in the District.
If the Forest Department does not stop the elephants coming from the forest in search of food, more disasters are bound to happen. The farmers have demanded that the Forest Department should take appropriate measures in this regard.