Udupi: District police have detained two more key accused in connection with the shooting death of businessman David D’Souza and produced them before the court on August 14. With the latest detentions, the number of accused taken into custody in the case has risen to seven.

The latest accused are Ermal Kishore Poojary, 47, who was detained on the morning of August 14, and Sadananda Devadiga, 45, a resident of Kuthyar, who was detained on the night of August 13.

Money trail under investigation

According to police, Kishore Poojary allegedly transferred money to Sadananda Devadiga, who in turn is alleged to have transferred the money to three contract killers.

The alleged financial transactions have emerged as an important part of the investigation into the killing of David D’Souza. Police are examining the role of the accused and the circumstances surrounding the alleged payments as part of the probe.

The latest detentions are expected to help investigators establish the alleged chain of events leading up to the shooting and identify the roles played by those involved.

Seven accused detained so far

With Kishore Poojary and Sadananda Devadiga being detained, police have so far taken seven accused into custody in connection with the case.

The investigation is continuing to establish the alleged links between the accused and those who carried out the shooting. Police are also examining the financial trail and other evidence gathered during the investigation.

The accused were produced before the court on August 14 as part of the legal proceedings.

Accused raise detention claim in court

During the court proceedings, the accused reportedly told the court that they had actually been detained on August 10.

The claim brought attention to the circumstances and timing of their detention. The court subsequently sought clarity on the matter during the proceedings.

Advocate representing Kishore Poojary told the court that his client was unwell. The lawyer also submitted that the CCTV system from Kishore’s residence had been taken away by the police.

The submissions prompted the judge to question the circumstances surrounding the police action.

Judge seeks explanation from investigating officer

After hearing the submissions, the judge reportedly observed that police could have sought custody of the accused if such custody was required for the investigation.

The judge also questioned why the situation had occurred and verbally instructed the investigating officer to provide an explanation.

The court’s observations came during the production of the accused and added another dimension to the proceedings surrounding the investigation.

The police investigation into the shooting death continues, with officers examining the alleged financial transactions and the roles of the accused. The court proceedings will also determine the next stage of custody and further legal action in the case.