Abu Dhabi: Nineteen-year-old Dan DSouza, native of coastal Karnataka was selected for UAE cricket team because of his superb performance in Elite Cup organized by Asian Cricket Council at Malaysia recently. Dan bagged man of the series award in the Elite Cup.
The World Cup of under 19 years will be held in February 2014. Despite UAE team faced defeat against Afghanistan in Elite Cup, it will play as host.
Dan Dsouza is the son of Rudolph and Marina D’Souza who are the natives of Bejai, Mangalore, currently residing in UAE. At present Dan is studying in The British School of Al Khubairat in grade 13.
Dan is a right hand batsman as well as right arm off spin bowler.He started his cricket coaching at Zayed cricket academy at the age of 13. He was a very promising player in the initial days and since then he has never looked back.
He has been the captain of the Under 13, Under 15 and currently he is captaining the Under 19 club team.
He has toured Bangalore(2008) and Mumbai (2009) to play Max Talent tournaments for cricket tours gaining vital experience in 2008 /2009.
As a competetor his first tour was to Thailand for UAE as a 16 year old for the u19 elite tournament – 2011.
And this year he has toured Malaysia for UAE team in u19 elite cup, and has been chosen as the player of the tournament.
His major achievements are:
• Player of the tournament, ACC u19 Elite cup Malaysia 2013
• Most promising player of the year 2007-2008 by Zayed Academy.
• Best batsman in the Abu Dhabi in the inter school tournament 2010 – 2011.
• Chosen as the Senior player of the year 2011-2012 by British school Al Khubairat.
• Most promising player of the tournament 2007-2008 in the Nisan Gulf cup.