News Karnataka
Wednesday, November 29 2023

Row after Bengaluru FC, Kerala Blasters forfeit their playoff match

kerala blasters
Photo Credit : Facebook

Bengaluru FC advanced to the Indian Super League semifinals under contentious circumstances recently when Kerala Blasters exited the playoff match midway through as a result of the referee’s call. Sunil Chhetri’s goal in the seventh minute of extra time gave Bengaluru FC the lead, but the Blasters weren’t happy with the way it was scored. The Kerala Blasters football team and the referee had a conversation that resulted in the side leaving the field. The match was given to the Bengaluru FC players after they waited for the rest of the game.

Bengaluru FC defeated Kerala Blasters FC 1-0 on Friday at the Sree Kanteerava Stadium to advance to the semi-finals of the Indian Super League (ISL). In the seventh minute of extra time, Sunil Chhetri scored the game’s lone goal to give his team its ninth straight victory and secure a spot in the semi-finals.

Despite having the majority of the ball in the first half, Gurpreet Singh Sandhu of Bengaluru FC kept the Blasters from scoring. The Blues were content to play on the counter, relying on Roy Krishna and Sivasakthi Narayanan’s fast feet. In the opening period, the hosts attempted six shots, but only one was successful. Krishna tried to take three of the shots. In the 24th minute, a tight-angle shot by the Fijian was the only shot on goal of the half. Hernandez nearly had it parried directly into his path by Gill, but it was cleared away for a corner, from which Krishna couldn’t keep his header on goal.

Victor Mongil, who wasn’t marked, missed Danish Farooq’s looping header from a corner three minutes after the half-hour mark, and the offside flag was raised against the defender. Much remained the same in the second half, with the hosts delaying their counterattack while the visitors held more of the ball. In the 53rd minute, the Blasters had a chance to challenge the goalkeeper with a free kick, but Adrian Luna missed it. Around the hour mark, Gill stretched out and forced a palm behind for a corner on a shot from outside the box by Suresh Wangjam.

The Blasters increased their pressure on the ball in the last period of play, but Bengaluru FC’s defense maintained its shape to fend off attempts. Dimitrios Diamantakos’ team’s first shot on goal came in the 83rd minute, but Sandhu easily stopped his header before the game entered extra time. Rahul K. P. attempted to score from distance in the opening minute of extra time, but his effort was just inches wide at the far post after Luna’s pass. Bruno Ramires quickly reacted for Bengaluru FC at the opposite end, but his header went over the crossbar.

A swiftly executed free kick by Chhetri found the back of the goal in the seventh minute of extra time. Bengaluru FC was given the victory when the Blasters forfeited the game since they didn’t agree with the ruling. The Hero ISL playoffs have moved on to the next round with Bengaluru FC. Next, on March 7 and 12, the Blues will play Mumbai City FC, who won the League Shield, in a semifinal match that will be played over two legs.

Share this:
Samson Clanet Miranda

Read More Articles
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Editor's Pick

Find the best odds at 10Cric and IPL Betting 2023! Signup today and get up to a 100% deposit bonus.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp