Bengaluru: Cricket Association for the Blind in India (CABI) announced a strong 17-member men’s squad that will represent the country in the upcoming International Blind Sports Federation (IBSA) World Games 2023, Birmingham. The games are scheduled to be held from August 18 – 27 and blind cricket has been included in the World Games for the very first time. CABI had earlier announced the women’s team for the tournament. The teams are expected to attend a training camp at Bengaluru.
The team was selected based on the performances during the selection trials that were held in Bengaluru last month. The team comprises 6 players each from B1 and B2 categories while there are 5 players from the B3 category. The men’s team had recently won the T20 Cricket World Cup for the Blind.
Speaking on the participation of the national team in the World Games, Dr Mahantesh G. Kivadasannavar, President, CABI said, “I am happy to see the new talent being identified and nurtured in the last few years by the respective State Boards and CABI. There are few players who have made a comeback to the Indian Team and this reminds us that the key to success is only hard work and determination. I am confident that the players will give their best and learn from the available exposure during the World Games”.
“This is the new initiative from IBSA and CABI acknowledges the inclusion of Cricket for the Blind at the highest level. We have selected the best to represent the country and we are sure IBSA World Games is going to help our players in promoting cricket for the blind” said Mr E John David, General Secretary and Chairman of Selection Committee CABI.
Indian Men’s Squad for IBSA World Games 2023
- Basappa Waddagol – B1 – Karnataka
- Mohammed Jafar Iqbal – B1 – Odisha
- Maharaja Sivasubramanian – B1 – Tamil Nadu
- Omprakash Pal – B1 – Madhya Pradesh
- Nareshbhai Balubhai Tumda – B1 – Gujarat
- Nilesh Yadav – B1 – Delhi
- Ajaykumar Reddy Illuri – B2 – Andhra Pradesh
- Venkateswara Rao Dunna – B2 – Andhra Pradesh
- Pankaj Bhue – B2 – Odisha
- Rambir Singh – B2 – Haryana
- Nakula Badanayak – B2 – Odisha
- Irfan Diwan – B2 – Delhi
- Prakasha Jayaramaiah – B3 – Karnataka
- Sunil Ramesh – B3 – Karnataka
- Deepak Malik – B3 – Haryana
- Durga Rao Tompaki – B3 – Andhra Pradesh
- Ravi Amiti – B3 – Andhra Pradesh