News Karnataka
Sunday, February 25 2024
Sports

Pele may not attend Russia World Cup opening ceremony

Photo Credit :

peleRio de Janeiro: Brazilian soccer icon Pele’s presence at the inaugural World Cup match on June 14 remains a suspense as his scheduled trip to Russia has been cancelled due to ill health.

“He is feeling ill. He has problems in his legs,” his spokesperson told reporters, adding the situation would only be clearer by Tuesday, Efe news reported.

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, the soccer legend — who won the Jules Rimet Cup, used as the World Cup trophy from 1930-1970, three times, is one of the main invited guests at the opening ceremony in Moscow’s national Luzhniki Stadium, where the home team will go up against the Saudi Arabians.

The Brazilian star first took part in a World Cup match in 1958, going up against the Russian squad in 1958 in Sweden.

Pele, 77, has undergone several spinal, femur and cartilage operations of late, which have forced him to curtail his public appearances.

He has expressed concern about the Brazilian team saying the squad has not come together yet as a unit. He said it was the teams that won the past World Cups, not individuals.

 

Share this:
MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

Find the best odds at 10Cric and IPL Betting 2023! Signup today and get up to a 100% deposit bonus.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp