Sanaa: At least 20 Indian nationals were killed by Saudi-led coalition air strikes on fuel smugglers at Yemen’s Hodeidah port on Tuesday, residents and fishermen said.
They said two boats were hit in the attack on an area called al-Khokha near Hodeidah port.
Ministry of External Affairs said on Tuesday said it has no information about the reports that 20 Indians have been killed in Saudi-led strikes in Yemen.
“We are ascertaining the facts about the reports,” MEA spokesman Vikas Swarup said when asked about reports that 20 Indians had been killed in Saudi-led strikes in Yemen.
Some media reports, quoting residents and fishermen, earlier claimed that at least 20 Indian nationals were killed in air strikes by Saudi-led coalition forces on fuel smugglers at Yemen’s Hodeidah port on Tuesday.
They claimed two boats were hit in the attack on an area called al-Khokha near Hodeidah port.
India does not have Embassy in Yemen, which was shut down in April after evacuation of its nationals.
Independent Yemeni security officials and witnesses say 12 Shiite rebels were killed in airstrikes by a Saudi-led coalition in the province of Marib, where a rebel missile strike killed 45 Emirati soldiers earlier this week.
Officials from the rebel group, known as Houthis, confirm more than 20 airstrikes occurred Tuesday.
Neither side has captured more territory, as pro-government forces say they plan to seize the rest of the province before proceeding to Jawf, and eventually to Saada province— the Houthi heartland. Officials fighting the Houthis say they are prioritizing taking control of the cities of Bihan to the west and Sirwah to the south, which lie on supply routes to the rebel-held capital, Sanaa.
The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to brief reporters.