Our Ad Policy
- Our Advertising Policy prohibits some content and restrict some content that we believe to be harmful to readers and the overall advertising ecosystem. The Policy is a guidance document in this regard.
- When advertisers place an order, each ad is reviewed against this policy and the review outcome is communicated to the Advertiser.
- What is allowed and what is not – Generally
- Generally, Ads must not constitute, facilitate, or promote universally illegal products, services, or activities. Some products, services or activities may be so in geographical territories and in such case, it will be upto the reader to be aware of and comply with such regulations. Newskarnataka cannot and will not be responsible for such non- compliance by its readers.
- Video and other dynamic ad types are allowed but they must comply with all of the rules listed in this Advertising Policy and must not use overly disruptive tactics, such as flashing screens.
- Lead Ads – Advertisers must not create Lead Ads questions to request the following types of information – Account Numbers (any type), Criminal History, Financial Information, Govt. issued identifiers, Health Information, Insurance Information, Political affiliation, Race or Ethnicity, Religion, Sexual Orientation, Trade Union Membership, Usernames or Passwords.
The Review Process
- Reviews are conducted both before an ad is placed and during its tenure, against the benchmark of our advertising policy primarily for content and compliance with applicable statutes.
- If a violation is found at any point in the review process, the ad will be rejected/ removed, and the advertiser informed of the cause.
- If your ad is rejected / removed you may create a new ad or edit your ad so as to comply with our advertising policies. These ads will be treated as new ad and reviewed by our ads review system.
- If an advertiser believes his ad was mistakenly disapproved, he can request a review of the decision by writing into firstname.lastname@example.org
- Illegal Products or Services – Ads must not constitute, facilitate, or promote universally illegal products, services, or activities. Some products, services or activities may be so in geographical territories and in such case, it will be upto the reader to be aware of and comply with such regulations – These are addressed in the restricted content section.
- Ads targeted at Minors – Ads targeted at minors must not promote products, services, or content that are inappropriate, illegal, or unsafe, or that exploit, mislead, or exert undue pressure on the age groups targeted.
- Discriminatory Practices – Ads must not discriminate or encourage discrimination against people based on personal attributes such as race, ethnicity, colour, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family status, disability, medical or genetic condition.
- Counterfeit goods – Ads that that target the sale or promotion for sale of counterfeit goods.
- Dangerous Products or Services – Ads that promote the use and sale of recreational drugs (chemical or herbal); psychoactive substances; equipment to facilitate drug use; weapons, ammunition, explosive materials, and fireworks; instructions for making explosives or other harmful products; tobacco products
- Dishonest behaviour enablers – Ads that target promotion or sale of products or services that are designed to enable dishonest behaviour like hacking software or instructions; services designed to artificially inflate ad or website traffic; fake documents; academic cheating services
- Inappropriate content – Ads or destinations that display shocking content or promote hatred, intolerance, discrimination, or violence. Examples of inappropriate or offensive content: bullying or intimidation of an individual or group, racial discrimination, hate group paraphernalia, graphic crime scene or accident images, cruelty to animals, murder, self-harm, extortion or blackmail, sale or trade of endangered species, ads using profane language
- Tobacco and Related Products – Ads must not promote the sale or use of tobacco products and related paraphernalia. Advertisements must not promote electronic cigarettes, vaporizers, or any other products that simulate smoking.
- Adult Products or Services – Ads must not promote the sale or use of adult products or services. Ads promoting sexual and reproductive health products or services, like contraception and family planning must be targeted to people 18 years or older and must not focus on sexual pleasure.
- Adult Content – Ads must not contain adult content. This includes nudity, depictions of people in explicit or suggestive positions, or activities that are overly suggestive or sexually provocative.
- Third-Party Infringement – Ads must not contain content that infringes upon or violates the rights of any third party, including copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights.
- Sensational Content – Ads must not contain shocking, sensational, inflammatory, or excessively violent content.
- Personal Attributes – Ads must not contain content that asserts or implies personal attributes. This includes direct or indirect assertions or implications about a person’s race, ethnic origin, religion, beliefs, age, sexual orientation or practices, gender identity, disability, medical condition (including physical or mental health), financial status, voting status, membership in a trade union, criminal record, or name.
- Misinformation – Ads must not include claims debunked by third-party fact checkers or, in certain circumstances, claims debunked by organizations with particular expertise.
- Controversial Content – Ads must not contain content that exploits crises or controversial political or social issues for commercial purposes.
- Non-Functional Landing Page – Ads must not direct people to non-functional landing pages. This includes landing page content that interferes with a person’s ability to navigate away from the page.
- Cheating and Deceitful Practices – Ads may not promote products or services that are designed to enable a user to engage in cheating or deceitful practices.
- Grammar & Profanity – Ads must not contain profanity or bad grammar and punctuation. Symbols, numbers, and letters must be used properly without the intention of circumventing our ad review process or other enforcement systems.
- Personal Health – Ads must not contain “before-and-after” images or images that contain unexpected or unlikely results. Ad content must not imply or attempt to generate negative self-perception in order to promote diet, weight loss, or other health related products.
- Payday Loans, Pay check Advances, and Bail Bonds – Ads may not promote payday loans, pay check advances, bail bonds, or any short-term loans intended to cover someone’s expenses until their next payday. Short term loan refers to a loan of 90 days or less.
- Multilevel Marketing – Ads promoting income opportunities must fully describe the associated product or business model and must not promote business models offering quick compensation for little investment, including multilevel marketing opportunities.
- Penny Auctions – Ads may not promote penny auctions, bidding fee auctions, or other similar business models.
- Misleading Claims – Ads must not contain deceptive, false, or misleading claims like those relating to the effectiveness or characteristics of a product or service, including misleading health, employment or weight-loss claims that set unrealistic expectations for users.
- Low Quality or Disruptive Content – Ads must not contain content leading to external landing pages that provide an unexpected or disruptive experience. This includes misleading ad positioning, such as overly sensationalized headlines or prompts for users to inauthentically interact with the ad, and leading people to landing pages that contain minimal original content and a majority of unrelated or low-quality ad content.
- Spyware or Malware – Ads must not contain spyware, malware, or any software that results in an unexpected or deceptive experience. This includes links to sites containing these products.
- Unacceptable Business Practices – Ads must not promote products, services, schemes or offers using deceptive or misleading practices, including those meant to defraud people out of money or personal information.
- Sale of Body Parts – Ads must not promote the sale of human body parts or fluids.
- Vaccine Discouragement – Ads must not discourage people from vaccination or advocate against vaccines.
- Promotion of Prescription Drugs – Ads may not promote prescription drugs
Restricted Content – products, services or activities that are not universally illegal or culturally unacceptable
- While some content is prohibited, some, as below is allowed with certain conditions.
- In the case of the following, Authorised advertisers must follow all applicable laws, including targeting their ads in accordance with legal requirements. At a minimum, ads may not be targeted to people under 18 years of age. This along with a disclaimer – reader discretion and the need to comply with all applicable local laws must be mentioned on the ads landing page as follows: “Reader discretion is recommended, and the reader must make himself aware of and comply with all locally applicable regulations.”
- Alcohol, Online Pharmacies, OTC Drugs, Subscription Services, Cosmetic Procedures and Wellness, Social Issues, Elections or Politics – Ads that promote or reference alcohol, Online Pharmacies, OTC Drugs, Subscription Services, Social Issues, Elections or Politics, must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses, and approvals, and include age restrictions etc.
- Online Gambling and Gaming – Ads that promote online gambling, and gaming where anything of monetary value (including cash or digital/virtual currencies, e.g., bitcoin) is required to play and anything of monetary value forms part of the prize, must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses, and approvals, and include age restrictions etc. Gambling ads must have a landing page that displays information about responsible gambling, and never target minors. Check local regulations for the areas you want to target.
- Financial, Stock Market, Insurance and Cryptocurrency Products and Services – Ads promoting the above must clearly provide sufficient disclosure regarding associated fees, including APR percentages, transaction fees, interest rates and the physical address of the entity offering the product within the ad’s landing page. In addition, they must comply with all applicable local laws, required or established industry codes, guidelines, licenses, and approvals, and include age restrictions etc The Ads must not directly request the input of a person’s financial information, including credit card information.
Use of Our Brand Assets
- Brand Endorsement – Ads must not imply a Newskarnataka Endorsement or partnership of any kind, or an endorsement by any other Spearhead Media Company. Spearhead Media brand assets should not be modified in any way, such as by changing the design or colour, or for the purpose of special effects or animation.
- Copyrights & Trademarks – All other ads and landing pages must not use our copyrights, trademarks, or any confusingly similar marks, except as expressly permitted with our prior written permission.
- Advertisers are responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations and this advertising policy. Failure to comply may result in a variety of consequences, including the cancellation of ads you have placed and termination of your account.
- If you are managing ads on behalf of other advertisers, each advertiser or client must be managed through separate ad accounts. You ensured that each advertiser complies with these Advertising Policies.
- We reserve the right to reject, approve or remove any ad for any reason, in our sole discretion, including ads that negatively affect our relationship with our readers or our regulators or that promote content, services, or activities, contrary to our competitive position, interests, or advertising philosophy.
- These policies are subject to change at any time without notice.