With a view to healing the damage to earning opportunities of poorer minorities caused by the pandemic, the Karnataka government has opened the scheme for Microloans for the opening of sale outlets for operating small businesses like a tea shop, vegetable shop, fruits shop, flower shop etc.
The government has now opened the window for all needy persons to apply for these loans – it would be a good thing if our readers communicate this information to eligible persons in their loop – the window for applying closes on the 10th of Dec but it is best that applications are submitted as early as possible and applicants should be guided to avoid any delay in submitting their application. Applications are cleared step by step once uploaded, and “the loan amount is immediately credited to the bank account of the selected beneficiary.”
This plan contains some features that should be clear to all who are applying and also to those who are in a supporting role;
The scheme is specifically set-up for poorer section minorities who have not been covered in any other schemes of the government. Economically weaker female residents of Karnataka state belonging to Minority communities can apply for the microloan.
To ensure transparency, speed and prompt delivery of the benefit to the deserving, a few controls have been established namely:
- Only applications from holders of Aadhaar Cards will be considered
- Communications regarding the status of the application will be directed to the mobile number of the applicant only. This would have to be checked regularly.
- Application form, instructions for filling out the application form, verification of submitted application and Status of the application after submission can be checked at any time on the website of The Karnataka Minorities Development Corporation Limited (KMDC)
- One copy of the loan documents will be given to the borrower for their record before the final amount is released, this has to be received and carefully retained by the borrower.
- Once the final approval is through, the loan amount will be transferred to the borrowers account immediately by NEFT – Applicants should therefore be reminded not to delay the process at any stage by failing to respond to instructions within the specified time frame.
This is where the role of supporters comes in. If the applicant is known to you, you could help them in for filling out the application form, alternately direct them to the local Corporator, or PDS outlet who could direct them to a cybercafé doing this work for a nominal payment.
The total microloan of Rs 10,000 includes a loan amount of Rs 8000 and a subsidy of Rs 2000, an initial moratorium of two moths is built into the system, and the borrower would have to begin repayment by the third month. This would consist of 10 instalments of Rs 820 each.
For any person suffering because of the hardships imposed by life in general and by the pandemic and more this year, this is an excellent opportunity to help them set up up a self-help work, start helping in their family expenses and build up their self-respect and command their own place in society. And we can help them do it by informing them and guiding them on where to go for help.
All details of the scheme are clearly described on the website of the corporation and once the step by step procedure describes there is followed, any applicant with the most basic skills could get the break she deserves.
This is not a charity – this is an opportunity being offered by the State Government to give minorities from poorer sections to change their lives once and forever. You would be that change for the family you help.