Mangaluru: The centenary celebrations of St. Sebastian Church Permannur will be held from 19th to 21st January.
The Institution Day will be celebrated on January 19 and Sauhardha Sangama (Inter religious meet) observed on January 20 to unite people of all walks of life. The yearlong activities to mark the centenary year will conclud on January 21 with a thanksgiving mass and cultural bonanza.
Several dignitaries both from religious and political backgrounds are expected to attend the functions on the occasion of centenary celebrations of St. Sebastian Church which was established on 1 February 1918.
During the year 2017-2018, St. Sebastian Parish, Permannur has organised several activities to animate people and to revitalise the spiritual fervour of the community. In January 2017, the animation programme was conducted for the leaders of the parish community. In March 2017, senior citizens were honoured. In April 2017, a special programme was organised for women. In May 2017, various programmes were conducted to cater to the medical and educational needs. In August 2017, a mega Bible quiz was organised. The months of September and October are focused on rejuvenating family life. November 2017 was the month of spiritual renewal. December gave importance to youth animation and now January 2018, is the climax of year long celebrations.
On January 7, a marathon race was organised to create awareness regarding the need for peace and harmony in the vicinity of Ullal and to unite the people especially, the youth to build solidarity in the local community. Approximately 1000 youth and children participated in this event. This is now followed by 9 days of Novena prayers which started on January 10.
On January 19, Most Rev. Dr Francis Serrao, the Bishop of Shimoga will preside over the Institutions Day celebrations. All teachers who served in St. Sebastian Institutions will be felicitated during the function. The officials of the department of education, several educationists and the alumni, are expected to attend the function.
On January 20, an inter-religious meet has been organised to put together people of all faiths. Ullal being a sensitive area prone to communal disturbances, attempts are being made to amend ways towards establishing peace and harmony. Rajarshri Dr. D Veerandra Heggade, Dharmadhikari, Shree Kshetra Dharmastala, Rt. Rev. Dr J S Sadananda, Chancellor, Serampore University, Bahumanya K A Basheer Madani, Al- Khamil, Khatib, Jumma Masjid, Kulur and Most Rev. Dr. Aloysius Paul D’Souza, the Bishop of Mangaluru along with many other dignitaries of religious milieu will be attending the function. This event exclusively focuses on building trust and confidence among the people in the vicinity of Ullal.
On January 21, concluding ceremony of the year long festive and community building events will be held. A thanksgiving worship service will be followed by a formal function. Many of the bishops of Karnataka state, political leaders, priests, religious and other leaders are expected to attend the function. Beginning from the Marathon Race till the concluding programme, 2 lakh general public, devotees and faithful are expected to attend the functions.
Centenary Jubilee projects:
The jubilee celebration will not merely be an event of celebrations. The parish community has decided to take up concrete developmental projects for the well being of the community and the upliftment of the people. The parish committee proposes to take up the following projects and community building activities.
1. A dozen houses will be constructed to provide shelter to the most needy who do not have their own dwelling.
2. Special attention will be given to repair the dilapidated houses of the needy.
3. A medical fund has been established to support the poor; an educational fund will provide scholarships for the needy students; a housing fund will attend on repairing houses during natural calamities.
4. A group of health workers will provide geriatric care to the terminally ill and to the home bound.
5. A community hall will be built to animate various groups of people such as youth, self help groups, fishermen etc., to provide professional and job oriented skills.
6. Attention will be given to the formation of self-help groups and small savings schemes to the public.
7. A post graduate educational facility to provide quality education to the locals especially those who are financially underprivileged.
8. The existing educational institutions will be upgraded with all infrastructural facilities and well qualified staff in achieving educational excellence.
9. We intend to focus on non formal education towards health and hygiene in line with the motto of Swacch Bharath Abhiyan.
10.The community will gear itself by way of taking leadership and animating the people of all walks of life towards peace and harmony in and around Ullal.