Mangaluru: Health and Family Welfare Minister U T Khader has issued a stern warning to food preparation and food-selling establishments, saying that “irresponsibility” in maintaining hygiene and food quality will not be tolerated. He said surprise inspections would continue across Mangaluru and that no establishment, regardless of its size or reputation, would be given any concession.
Khader, who is also the Dakshina Kannada district in-charge minister, was speaking to reporters in Mangaluru on Sunday. His warning comes amid an intensified food safety inspection drive in the city, with officials conducting surprise checks at several food establishments following complaints from the public.
Khader warns establishments against negligence
Khader said that food safety officials had already conducted raids and inspections in Bengaluru after receiving complaints about food quality and hygiene. However, the continuation of similar problems in Mangaluru despite the action elsewhere was, according to him, a serious sign of irresponsibility among food-selling establishments.
“Immediately after receiving complaints from the public, officials conducted raids and inspections. During the inspections, it was found that food was being prepared in unhygienic conditions,” he said.
The minister added that appropriate legal action had been initiated against establishments where violations were detected. He also made it clear that the inspections would not be a one-time exercise.
“Such surprise raids will continue regularly in the coming days,” Khader said, signalling that food establishments across the city should expect continued scrutiny from enforcement authorities.
The inspections are aimed at ensuring that food served to the public is prepared under hygienic conditions and meets prescribed quality and safety standards.
Kitchens and storage areas to face scrutiny
Khader directed food establishments to mandatorily maintain cleanliness in their kitchens and food storage rooms. He also stressed the need to ensure the quality of food products used and served to customers.
Kitchens and storage areas are among the key points examined during food safety inspections. Poor sanitation, improper storage, unsafe handling of ingredients and the use of substandard or spoiled food can pose risks to consumers.
The minister’s directive places responsibility on food business operators to ensure that basic hygiene requirements are followed consistently rather than only when an inspection is expected.
He warned that inspections could be conducted anywhere and at any time. Establishments therefore cannot assume that they will receive advance notice before officials arrive for a check.
No concession based on size or reputation
Khader said there would be no discrimination between large establishments and smaller food outlets during the enforcement drive. He stressed that the size, popularity or reputation of an establishment would not determine whether action was taken.
“Regardless of how big an establishment is, there is no question of giving any concession. Public health is our first priority,” the minister said.
The statement comes at a time when food safety authorities are increasing inspections across Karnataka. Several establishments have come under scrutiny following complaints relating to food quality and hygiene.
For consumers, stricter inspections are expected to provide greater assurance that restaurants, fast-food outlets and other establishments serving food are adhering to the required standards.
Catering units, PGs and hostels to come under scanner
The inspection drive in Mangaluru is also set to expand beyond conventional restaurants and food outlets. Khader said catering businesses, paying guest (PG) centres and hostels would also be brought under the scanner in the coming days.
The move is significant as large numbers of people depend on catering services, hostels and PG facilities for their daily meals. Food prepared in such establishments can be consumed by sizeable groups, making hygiene and safe food handling particularly important.
Khader said joint operations would be conducted in coordination with other concerned government departments. Discussions would be held with the respective authorities before expanding the inspections to these establishments.
Such coordinated operations could allow officials from different departments to examine various aspects of compliance and take action wherever violations are identified.
Government aware of staff shortage
Khader also acknowledged the shortage of food safety officers and supporting staff. He said the government was aware of the shortage and indicated that recruitment would be considered as inspection activities increase.
“As these inspections increase, the government will grant approval for new recruitment,” Khader said.
The availability of adequate personnel is important for sustaining regular inspections across a large number of food establishments. An increase in inspections requires sufficient officers to conduct field visits, collect samples, investigate complaints and follow up on violations.
The minister’s statement indicates that the government is considering strengthening the department’s workforce as the enforcement drive expands.
Scientific laboratories also needed
Apart from recruitment, Khader said the need for scientific laboratories had also been brought to the government’s attention.
Laboratories play an important role in food safety enforcement, particularly when officials collect samples during inspections. Laboratory analysis can help determine whether food products meet prescribed standards and whether suspected contamination or other violations have occurred.
The need for stronger laboratory infrastructure becomes more significant as the number of inspections and food samples increases. Timely scientific testing can support enforcement action and provide evidence in cases involving suspected violations.
Khader said the government had been informed about the requirement for scientific laboratories along with the need for additional staff.
Food establishments face increased scrutiny
The minister’s warning makes it clear that food establishments in Mangaluru will face continued scrutiny in the coming days. The department’s inspection programme is expected to cover a wider range of establishments, including those that prepare food for large groups.
Officials have already begun responding to public complaints through surprise inspections, while the government is preparing to broaden the scope of enforcement.
For food business operators, the message from the minister is direct: maintaining hygiene and food quality is mandatory and violations can result in legal action. Establishments have been instructed to ensure that kitchens and storage areas remain clean and that food products are safe and of acceptable quality.
As inspections continue, the government is also looking at strengthening the manpower and scientific infrastructure required to support the enforcement mechanism.
The expanded drive is ultimately aimed at protecting consumers and ensuring that food served across Mangaluru is prepared, stored and handled under safe and hygienic conditions. With Khader ruling out concessions, establishments are expected to step up compliance and address any shortcomings before they result in action from the authorities.
