News Karnataka
Monday, April 22 2024
Cricket
World

235 killed, over 100 injured in Egypt mosque attack

Photo Credit :

Cairo: At least 235 people were killed and scores of others injured in a gory terror attack on a mosque in Egypt’s northern Sinai region on Friday, Egyptian state TV reported, making it one of the deadliest ever carried out against civilians in the province.

The assailants planted home-made explosive in the al-Rawdah mosque in the town of Bir al-Abd, near Arish, and detonated them as worshipers were leaving after prayers. They also shot at anyone who tried to escape, a security official told Efe news.

Besides the 235 dead, at least 100 people were injured in the horrific attack.

Pictures from the scene showed rows of bloodied victims inside the mosque. The blasts from improvised explosive devices caused considerable damage to the mosque, Al Ahram Online said.

Speaking to state-run Masriya TV, Egyptian Health Ministry spokesman Khalid Mujahid described the incident as a “terrorist attack”.

One report said the target appeared to be supporters of the security forces who were praying at the mosque. Egyptian President Abdel Fatah el-Sisi was meeting with a security committee to discuss the bloodbath.

Egypt declared three days of national mourning. No group has claimed responsibility for the massacre.

Share this:
MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp