News Karnataka
Thursday, April 25 2024
World

French Interior Ministry condemns unauthorised carnival

Photo Credit :

Paris: The French Interior Ministry has strongly condemned an unauthorized carnival parade attended mostly by young people in the city of Marseille.

On Monday, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said the organizers should be found out and prosecuted, reports Xinhua news agency.

“This is unacceptable,” Ministry spokeswoman Camille Chaize told the BFMTV news channel, calling the event an affront to nurses and medical staff amid the pandemic.

The event had not been registered with the local authorities.

On Sunday, some 6,500 people joined the parade, many not wearing protective face masks, according to media reports.

Police intervened, breaking up the event in the evening near the Old Port in the city center.

Nine people were arrested and dozens were given penalty notices, according to the ministry Spokeswoman.

Yannick Ohanessian, one of Marseille’s deputy mayors, asked participants to be tested for the virus as soon as possible.

In France, larger events are generally allowed to take place outdoors during the day, provided participants follow health regulations including wearing protective masks.

Share this:
MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
Nktv
Nktv Live

To get the latest news on WhatsApp