News Karnataka
Tuesday, April 23 2024
Cricket
World

Indian Man Dies in New York Fire; Residents Jump from Windows

Fire
Photo Credit : News Karnataka

New York: A deadly fire incident in Harlen, New York, on Friday claimed the life of a 27-year-old Indian journalist. He was recognized as Fazil Khan by the Indian Embassy in New York, which also stated that they are in contact with his friends and family.

We are sorry to hear that Mr. Fazil Khan, a 27-year-old Indian national, passed away in a tragic fire in an apartment building in Harlem, New York.The friends and family of the late Mr. Fazil Khan are in contact with @IndiainNewYork.
We’re continuing to extend all possible assistance we can in…

February 25, 2024 — India in New York (@IndiainNewYork)

“I am sorry to hear that Mr. Fazil Khan, a 27-year-old Indian national, passed away in a tragic fire in an apartment building in Harlem, New York. India in New York maintains contact with the friends and family of the late Mr. Fazil Khan. We continue to extend all possible assistance in reparation of his mortal remains to India,” the Indian Embassy posted on X.

According to the local fire department, a lithium-ion battery started a fatal fire at an apartment building in Harlem on Friday, as reported by CBS News.

In the fire that witnessed dramatic rope rescues, seventeen more people were hurt and dozens of people were forced to flee their homes.

Narrating the tragedy, a local Angie Ratchford said, “The fire was at the top and people were jumping out of the windows.” Akil Jones, a resident, said he and his father escaped the fire with only his phone and his keys.

To save their lives, the residents of the St. Nicholas Place apartment building were forced to jump or use the fire escape.

18 persons in all were saved. Four of the 12 people admitted to a nearby hospital are still in critical condition, according to CBS News.

A ‘full vacate’ order has been issued by the Department of Buildings in the aftermath of the incident, and the Red Cross is providing temporary housing at a nearby school for scores of people.

“Where the fire was, an apartment door on the third floor was left open. Chief of the Fire Department John Hodgens stated, “The fire was so intense that flames were coming out that door and blocking the stairwell.”

Read More:

 

 

Share this:
MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp