News Karnataka
Friday, April 12 2024

Skydiving Tragedy: 73-Year-Old US Man Dies Due to Parachute Failure

Photo Credit : Google

A 73-year-old skydiver in Arizona, United States, passed away after his parachute failed to fully deploy to slow his descent. When the incident occurred on January 31, Terry Gardner and three other experienced skydivers were making their third jump.
According to police, the group had planned a formation jump from roughly 14,000 feet. But when Mr. Gardner tried to open his parachute, he ran into some difficulties, so it did not go as planned. “While they were unable to complete the intended formation, it is not believed that this contributed to the accident,” they stated. The other three skydivers made a safe landing, but Mr. Gardner was taken to the hospital where he passed away as a result of his injury.

In Skydive Arizona’s words, the 73-year-old was “a highly experienced skydiver with several thousands of jumps”. “The reserve (second) parachute was not released by the jumper. The skydiver was using personal, owned and maintained parachute equipment when they jumped, and the weather was calm and clear. The cause of the accident is currently being investigated, and no more comments will be made until the investigation’s findings have been made public.”

The Federal Aviation Administration officials said the agency will look into how the parachute was packed, as well as flying restrictions for the pilot and the aircraft.

A few days ago, a 33-year-old British base jumper fell to his death after leaping off the roof of a 29-storey apartment block in Pattaya, Thailand. The tragic accident happened after his parachute failed to open during the stunt. The incident happened on January 28 when Nathy Odinson, 33, from Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire, illegally climbed to the top of the 29-floor apartment building in the coastal resort of Pattaya.

As per security officials, he had parked his car outside the condo, sneaked inside, and went upstairs to do a base jump with his friend filming a video on the ground. After counting down and jumping, the parachute he was holding failed to deploy and he crashed through a tree and fell to the ground.

Police in Pattaya were alerted to the accident at 7.30 pm and rushed to the building where they found Mr Odinson’s body on the ground. Paramedics who were called on the scene pronounced him dead and an investigation into the accident has been launched.

Read More

Anand Mahindra Cheers for Cute Kashmiri Kids Reporting Snow

Share this:
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp