Karwar: An accidental fire broke out at the municipal solid waste disposal unit of Shirwada in the taluk on Wednesday May 10 late night and a fire fighting operation was carried out on Thursday May 11.
Municipal staff and fire brigade are continuously trying to put out the fire. The smell of burnt plastic from the fire, the excessive smoke is causing a lot of trouble to the villagers of the industrial area, Konmakki. The locals had also protested several times that there was no need for a solid waste disposal unit. There were 3-4 fire incidents like this in the past.
The fire cannot be contained due to piles of garbage. Water is being brought by tanker and supplied to fire fighting vehicles and two vehicles are doing fire fighting operation.