Ajman: The Gulf Medical University (Ajman), in association with the Department of Anaesthesia, Thumbay Hospital, conducted the ‘National Conference on Updates in Anaesthesia’ at The Ajman Saray Hotel, Ajman on Friday, October 21 to discuss the modern breakthroughs in administering anaesthesia and the role of anaesthesiologist on World Anaesthesia Day.
The conference was inaugurated by the chief guest, Akbar Moideen Thumbay – Vice President of the Healthcare Division of Thumbay Group. He presented mementos to the invited speakers. Later he went around the exhibition area and interacted with the companies to learn about the latest anaesthesia equipment.
“Advances in surgical techniques, the surge in outpatient surgeries and the demand for value-based care are expected to further drive advances in the field of anesthesiology,” said Dr. Prashanth Hegde – Medical Director of Thumbay Hospital, Ajman commenting on the conference.
“Anaesthetists play a vital role in preparing patients for surgery and monitoring them. As a key member of the medical teams in surgical units and intensive care, they are assigned an important role of ensuring patient’s safety, delivering pain relief and resuscitation.If surgery was the revolutionary solution to save or treat patients, anaesthesia was the innovation that allowed the idea to be executed – in the first place. And it’s critical that we remember its role,” said Dr. Raji Sharma, Head of the Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman.
Further, renowned anaesthetists, surgeons and academicians shared comprehensive insights at the thought-leadership platform:
• “Dexmedetomidine – A Novel Agent in Modern Anaesthesia Practice” by Dr. Pavan V. Tayde (Specialist Anaesthetist, Thumbay Hospital – Dubai)
• “Challenges in Bariatric Surgery” by Dr. Hussam Trabulsi (Head of general surgery department, Bariatric surgeon, Zulekha Hospital – Dubai)
• “Anaesthesia for Super-Obese Patient” by Dr. Mohanad A. Atta (Specialist Anaesthetist, Zulekha Hospital – Dubai)
• “Postoperative Analgesia: Are we doing enough” by Dr. Sivanadiyan Kulandayan (Specialist Anaesthetist, Al Mafraq Hospital – Abu Dhabi)
• “Preeclampsia in Parturient -Evidence Based Approach” by Dr. Prashanth Hegde (Medical Director, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman)
• “Anaesthesia For Liver Transplantation” by Dr. Rasweth Krishnamoorthy (Consultant Anaesthesiologist, Dept. of Anaesthesiology & Critical Care, Cethar Hospitals, Trichy, Tamil Nadu, India)
• “Neuroanaesthesia Concerns in Pregnancy” by Dr. Vinay B. (Specialist Anaesthetist, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman)
• “Pre-operative Cardiac Risk Assessment: An Update” by Dr.Raji Sharma, Head of the Department of Anaesthesiology and Critical Care, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman)
• “Ultrasound Guided Regional Anaesthesia Scope” by Dr.Qabas Malik (Specialist Anaesthetist, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman)
• “Perioperative Blood Transfusion” by Dr. Sona Chaturvedi (Specialist A Anaesthesia and Assistant Head of Department, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Thumbay Hospital – Ajman)
The conference, which was accredited by the Ministry of Health – UAE for 7.5 CME hours, was attended by over 150 doctors from across the country. Certificates were issued to the participants at the end of the program.