Yadgir: A 10-month-old baby was hurt when the roof of an Anganwadi center collapsed in Marakal village, Yadgir district. The incident occurred during a vaccination event attended by the baby and family members.
The Anganwadi center was hosting an Indradhanush vaccination program for infants. A photo of baby Keerthi, with a bandaged head but still smiling, has gone viral on social media in the state. Despite her injury, Keerthi’s resilience and positivity have garnered affection and praise from people.
Indradhanush program provides vaccination against eight life-threatening diseases such as diphtheria, whooping cough, Haemophilus influenzae type B causing pneumonia, and others. 10-month-old baby Keerthi was taken there along with many other babies.
When the vaccination programme was undergoing, the roof of the centre suddenly collapsed on them. More than six children and parents escaped with minor injuries. An injured Keerthi was admitted to the Shahapur taluk hospital.
The officers later visited and inspected the spot.
The building was constructed three years ago and villagers have complained that the incident was the result of substandard work. Yadgir is one of the most backward districts in the state.