News Karnataka
Wednesday, February 21 2024
Mangaluru

Water Crisis Hits Mangaluru, Residents Suffer

Residents
Photo Credit : Google

Mangaluru: Despite having reached its maximum water storage capacity, the Thumbe dam has caused a water crisis for many city residents over the past few days. The main pipeline between Thumbe and Mangaluru at Naguri burst, affecting the city’s water supply, according to representatives of the Mangaluru City Corporation (MCC). On February 6, while a bulk flow meter was being installed on the 1,000mm pipeline at Bendoorwell, the water supply was first disrupted.

As a result, parts of the water supply at PVS, Ladyhill, Bunder, Maryhill, Pacchanady, Ashoknagar, Derebail, Kodialbail, Kadri, Naguri, Surathkal, Katipalla, Kuloor, and Jalligudde were disrupted. Complete disruption of the supply occurred at Panambur, Kulai, Mukka, Kana, and Bala. But at one in the morning on February 7, city corporation employees discovered a significant fracture in the main pipeline at Naguri. After that, the MCC started working to plug the leak, and they didn’t stop until February 8. This resulted in the water supply disruption continuing even after the repairs were finished by 11 a.m. on February 8.

“Water supply to the Panambur area was disrupted due to airlock in the pipeline. Later, the water supply to the Surathkal zone was restored after releasing the air from the pipeline through an air valve. Meanwhile, water supply was disrupted for three more days in many of the low-lying areas. Officials have been taking up all measures to solve the issue,” the MCC stated in a release. Mayor Sudheer Shetty Kannur told TOI that the water supply to the city has been partially restored. “Officials and staff are working to restore the water supply to the entire city. Water supply has been restored to nearly 70% of the area and we are yet to ensure supply to the remaining 30% areas. Meanwhile, the city corporation has made arrangements to supply drinking water to residents in tankers. We also have convened a meeting of officials on Monday to discuss the issue,” he added.

Read More

Protest Erupts as Imran Khan Supporters Clash With Police Over Poll Results

 

Share this:
MANY DROPS MAKE AN OCEAN
Support NewsKarnataka's quality independent journalism with a small contribution.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating 0 / 5. Vote count: 0

No votes so far! Be the first to rate this post.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

To get the latest news on WhatsApp